WIN ONE OF FIVE TRIPS TO THE BUFFALO TRACE DISTILLERY, KENTUCKY.
A contest to celebrate the many obstacles overcome by the pioneering settlers who founded the Kentucky distillery where Buffalo Trace is now made. Also just about having some damn good fun…
Put your mind to the test as you complete challenges, based around your knowledge of Buffalo Trace and bourbon. Succeed and you’ll choose an ingredient that you want, fail, and you’ll be given an ingredient chosen by us…
To get through to the regional final and have your chance to earn a seat on that plane to Kentucky, simply create two outstanding cocktails.
Get your recipes and photos submitted by the 25th of June for your chance to move through to the ‘Mystery Migration’ round.
THE LONG DRINK
Create a cocktail using no more than three ingredients… Simple.
(Garnishes don’t count towards the ingredients)
Minimum of 25ml of Buffalo Trace.
Create a cocktail based on your favourite thing to come out of America. Portray this in your cocktail and get us loving it as well.
Minimum 50ml Buffalo Trace.
This will involve you solving clues which lead you to certain spots around the city, where you will have to complete challenges in order to choose ingredients you want. If you do not succeed, you’ll be given an ingredient of our choice.
Once you have visited all the locations you will head back to the bar, where you’ll then have to create your drink for the judges. All ingredients on the migration have to be used, testing your flexibility and ingenuity.
Your Buffalo knowledge will help you through this…
We also didn’t want you to go through all that trouble of creating your ‘Pioneering America’ cocktail without getting to make it for us.
You’ll have 8 minutes to present the two drinks and will be judge equally on both.
Two Drinks must be submitted from each entrant (Cocktail #1 & Cocktail #2)
Entries must be in the form of a long or short drink, but not a shot (Drink #1 must be a long drink)
Entries will be invited by Hi-Spirits based on the bar fulfilling entrance criteria and agreeing to abide by the rules of the competition
All entrants’ drinks must be entered with full specifications and photographs
Entries must be submitted to Buffalotrace.co.uk/bartenderscorner by 25th June 2016
If regional finalists cannot be clearly determined after their initial entry, Hi-Spirits representatives will visit entrants to confirm who will go through to the respective regional finals; all entrants must be prepared for this occasion
Five Regional finals will be held; Edinburgh, London, Bristol, Manchester, Leeds
They will be held between 1st and 20th of August
10. 1st place of each regional final will win an all-expenses paid trip to Kentucky, USA, departing on the 25th October 2016
11. 2nd and 3rd place will win bespoke barware and a set of mini Buffalo Trace Antique Collection 2015
Ingredients – Cocktail #1 – The Long Drink
12. Recipes must contain a minimum of 25ml of Buffalo Trace.
13. Ingredients may be measured using a jigger or similar measure
14. No more than 3 ingredients can be used, excluding a garnish
15. Home-made ingredients are allowed, but restricted to shrub and purees etc. Pre-batched established spirits/products are not allowed. If using a home-made component, the competitor must also submit the recipe and method of how it was produced.
Ingredients – Cocktail #2 – ‘Pioneering America’
16. Recipes must contain a minimum of 50ml of Buffalo Trace.
17. The recipe, or an ingredient within the recipe must reflect your favourite thing to come out of America.
18. Ingredients may be measured using a jigger or similar measure.
19. Home-made ingredients are allowed. If using a home-made component, the competitor must also submit the recipe and method of how it was produced.
Ingredients – ‘Mystery Migration’
20. Recipes must contain a minimum of 50ml of Buffalo Trace.
21. Ingredients may be measured using a jigger or similar measure.
22. Ingredients will depend on your ability to solve the challenges on the ‘Mystery Migration’. You will either get to choose from a select group of ingredients, or you will be given one at random
23. You will have to use a minimum of 3 of these ingredients in your drink. There will also be a base group of products available to you, which you will be given on the day.
24. Recipes entered must be expressed in ‘shots’, ounces (US) or millilitres with the use of ‘dashes’ and/or ‘drops’ limited to bitters, hot pepper sauce and the like. Fruit juice quantities must also be stipulated, e.g. “squeeze of lime” is unacceptable.
25. Recipes entered must be the original creation of the competitor and if a competitor is thought to have plagiarised a known existing cocktail, they will be disqualified.
26. Winner’s recipes, (at least one of them) must be included within their bars cocktail menu for a period of no less than 12 months and must be on the menu prior to travelling to the USA.
Drinks & Preparation – (Pioneering America & Mystery Migration Cocktail)
27. Both the Mystery Migration and the ‘Pioneering America’ cocktail must be presented
28. The drinks must be assembled in front of the judges to show technique and ingredients.
29. Competitors must supply their own bartending utensils (shaker, bar spoon, bespoke ice, strainers etc.)
30. Standard Glassware will be provided for the Mystery Migration cocktail, but not the ‘Pioneering America’ Cocktail
31. Cocktails may be presented in any shape of glass, cup or other hygienic and safe receptacle. Note, points are awarded for presentation.
32. Drinks may be served hot (with organiser’s written consent), straight-up, or over cubed, cracked or crushed ice.
33. Each competitor must make at least two identical drinks to show method and technique for the judges to sample.
34. Competitors will be given 8 minutes, in which to present, prepare and serve both their drinks for the judges. Points will be deducted for any competitor that goes over the time-limit.
35. By entering this competition, competitors agree to assign copyright of their recipe and drink name to the competition organisers. Competitors and drinks presented during the competition may be photographed (still or motion picture) by the organisers and copyright of these images for any use, including advertising, will be retained by the competition organisers.
36. Competitors are encouraged to talk to the judges while making their drink.
37. Points will be awarded for general presentation and working methods.
38. 20 points are available in the final round for competitors who wish to promote their cocktail in their venue
39. The ‘bonus round’ period will run from the 1st of July until the 31st July 2016
40. Bespoke menu inserts or blackboards are available for any contestant that wants them
41. Points will also be given for social media posts during July – 1 point will be given for each post relating to the cocktail or venue with @buffalotaceuk Maximum of 5 points
42. Points will be broken down in the following way for the Regional Final
Promotional Period – 20 points
Mystery Migration – 50 points
Pioneering America – 50 points Total 120 points
43. Promotional Period
Available in the venue – 5 points
Visibility (menu/display) – 10 points
Social Media posts – 5 points (1 point per post @buffalotraceuk) Total 120 points
Presentation & concept 5
Knowledge 10 Total 50 points
45. The competition organisers reserve the right to have the final decision on any matter relating to the judging of the competition. The competition organisers will appoint the panel of judges and reserve the right to replace or appoint new judges before or during the competition.
46. The judges must remain impartial.
47. While every reasonable effort will be made, the competition organisers cannot guarantee the safe return of glassware, equipment or any product supplied by a competitor. Therefore, competitors are advised to house their tools and product in bags/boxes which enable them to efficiently gather and hold their equipment and ingredients immediately after competing.
48. Competitors must conduct themselves in a safe manner and any action considered by the organisers to endanger fellow competitors, judges or spectators will result in instant disqualification and possible ejection from the venue.